The are advantages and disadvantages to owning an electric off-road vehicle, which may differ depending on the use scenario and user routine. Check out the top pros and cons below…
- An electric UTV does not produce any emissions, whether that be pollution from a combustion engine or noise pollution meaning they are known to be environmentally conscious as they use electricity – which is a renewable energy source – to charge the battery.
- It is much cheaper to run an electric UTV thanks to being able to charge at home. Electricity is a more affordable way to get your vehicle ready for the day ahead. Typically you’ll do less than 20 miles a day and with the Polaris RANGER XP Kinetic’s quick and convenient charging; expensive trips to the petrol station are a thing of the past.
- When owing an electric side-by-side, there are fewer maintenance costs as an electric engine does not need frequent upkeep such as oil changes. There are also fewer moving parts which means there is a reduced chance of things going wrong and you breaking down. The RANGER XP Kinetic has scheduled maintenance costs which are expected to be 70% less than average maintenance costs for similar fuel-powered vehicles.
- For those who are keen hunters, the silence of an electric UTV engine is ideal as you can go undetected when stalking your prey.
- An electric UTV can have a higher initial cost when purchasing compared to a petrol or diesel engine which can be off-putting but given the savings on maintenance and fuel, it could be something that works out more economical in the long run.
- Although the Polaris RANGER XP Kinetic Ultimate trim does provide up to 80 miles of range, for those that do more than that in a longer trip, an electric vehicle may not be right for you unless there is a hook-up / mains point which you know is safe to use. It is important to understand the appropriate charging times and procedures before purchasing an electric vehicle.
- The other issue that could come about when owning an electric UTV is ensuring there is a convenient and safe charging point for your vehicle and is something to consider before purchasing one to ensure safe and efficient charging.
For more information on the specs of the Polaris Ranger XP Kinetic you can check out our news story.